Staring into the distance, I wonder...

18 March 2007

Movies: 300

   I watched 300 last night and boy was I thrilled! I have always been a fan of the comic novel and the historical events that surrounds the Spartans. While men of today dwell in cars, bikes and what not, I dived head-on to the world of medievalism and the old age. Not surprising that if anyone were to ask me, "Would you prefer to live in those brutal times?" My reply will be a simple, "Yes."

   The movie was perfection in many ways. The intricate plots, the cinematography and not to mention the hand painted backgrounds really enhanced the mood of the story. The only aspect that wasn't in the movie were the creatures of the Persian army. That's sad.

   The plot revolves around the sacrifice of 300 Spartans against the might of the Persian Army. However for the uninitiated, Sparta was not the first target of Xerxes. It was actually Athens. The Atheniens waged war against the Persian Army and managed to fend off the attackers. Which was why Xerxes looked upon Sparta. With the reputation of the Spartan warriors, Xerxes thought he could mould them into his Immortal Army (now whether or not these Immortals do look as ugly as depicted in the movie is debatable). This is where the movie kicks off.



   I won't go into details of the movie just because everyone would know. So I'll go into my insights of the movie. It's funny how legends can be a good teaching point of life. In this event, 300 soldiers went up against legions of the Persian Army. In the face of insurmountable odds, they found a way to defy the numbers and narrow it down to make the battle more manageable.

   In some ways, such is life. We can always choose the easy way, which is to bow down before what we fear or choosing what is right. That is often the harder route, but at least we can accomplish something even if we die trying. That was the way of the Spartans and that mentality is good to emulate. I know I'm trying.

   I'm inspired by the movie as it reminded me of my goals. Of what I want in life. Time to put up, shut up and get things done smiling.

Written at 2:49 PM


oneself


memoirs


be heard


links